Dripping taps are one of the most common household problems, and luckily they’re also one of the easiest to fix! In this article, we’ll walk you through how to fix a dripping tap by yourself in just a few simple steps.
Why Do Taps Drip?
There are a few reasons why taps might drip.
– The most common reason is that the washer is worn out and needs to be replaced. The washer is a small rubber or metal disk that sits under the handle and creates a seal when the handle is turned on. Over time, the washer can become worn out from use and will need to be replaced in order to stop the dripping.
– Another reason for a dripping tap is that the O-ring might be damaged. The O-ring is a small rubber ring that sits between the valve seat and the handle. If this ring is damaged, it can cause water to leak out around the handle when it is turned on.
If your tap is dripping, there are a few things you can do to try to fix it yourself.
– First, check to see if the washer needs to be replaced. If so, you can usually do this yourself by unscrewing the handle and taking out the old washer. Then, simply screw on a new one and screw the handle back on.
– If the washer doesn’t seem to be the problem, then check the O-ring. If it appears to be damaged, you can try replacing it yourself.
– If you can’t figure out what is causing the dripping, or if neither of these solutions works, then you will need to call a plumber to come and repair leaking taps.
What are the Consequences of Not Fixing a Dripping Tap?
If you don’t fix a dripping tap, the consequences can be significant. A dripping tap can waste a lot of water over time. This can lead to higher water bills and may even cause water damage to your home if the leak is not fixed. In addition, a dripping tap can be annoying and make it difficult to get a good night’s sleep.
How to Fix a Dripping Tap By Yourself – Step By Step Guide
If you have a dripping tap, there is no need to call a plumber. You can easily fix it yourself with a few simple tools.
– Turn off the water supply to the tap. This is usually done by turning the knob on the pipe that supplies water to the tap.
– Once the water is turned off, remove the handle of the tap. To do this, you will need to remove the screw that holds the handle in place.
– Once the screw is removed, you should be able to simply pull the handle off.
– Underneath the handle, you will see a rubber washer. This is what needs to be replaced in order to stop the dripping. Simply remove the old washer and replace it with a new one. Make sure that the new washer is exactly the same size as the old one.
– Replace the handle and screw it back in place. Turn on the water supply and check that the drip has stopped. If it has not stopped, repeat steps 2-5 until it does.
By following the steps in this guide, you should now know how to fix a dripping tap by yourself. This is a great skill to have and can save you money on plumbing bills in the future. Remember to always turn the water off at the mains before attempting any repairs and if you are unsure about anything, seek professional help. With a little bit of practice, anyone can be a DIY plumber.